Sunday, February 17, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me?

On Sunday the twins and I went over to Doodle's house to eat dinner and celebrate my birthday. While we were there H2 started actually very strangely. She had been throwing up her formula all day but she really hadn't acted too differently than usual. She just was a little sleeper than normal. We tried giving her a bottle since she hadn't eaten too much at lunch time but she wouldn't take it. She was just lying there, staring at the ceiling, not really doing anything. It is completely unusual for her to just sit still. Both the girls are so active and busy to see her the way she was really started to scare me. She had also started a little wet cough. When we checked her temp is was 103! We gave her some Pedialyte and just let her lay on the couch. She wasn't getting any better and her temperature went up to 104. We left H1 at my Mom's house, loaded up and went to Urgent Care.

We sat there for about 2 1/2 hours before we were called back into a room. (Don't get my started on the receptionist...she was extremely rude!) They took her temperature, which was 103, and her blood pressure and oxygen levels. We proceeded to sit there for another hour before the doctor comes back (which we found out was the only doctor there and he had been working there alone for the entire past two days.) He pretty much just said he didn't think there was anything really wrong with her which is something that no parent wants to hear. He said he did want a chest x-ray to rule out pnesmonia. And that's about all he did. The x-ray tech was super sweet and seemed like she knew how difficult it really is to have a super sick child and then have to strip them down and hold them still for an x-ray. She was a small glimmer of sunshine in that dreary place. When the x-ray came back clear he pretty much just said "Well, just give her some Tylenol and she'll be fine." They wouldn't give her any Tylenol when she missed her dosage but they told us that was all that would help. *shrugs* 5 1/2 hours later we went home with a baby who missed her dosage, was tired, and still running a 104 fever. She didn't sleep a wink that night and was just completely miserable the entire night.
Happy birthday to me...or not! Nothing like waking up the next morning getting the girls up, loaded them in the car, and heading to the Pediatrician's office. Luckily, my Mom is a nurse at their peds office so she knew we were coming first thing. Hailey still hadn't really eaten anything. They did several tests on her and they couldn't find anything that was conclusive. The doctor gave her a shot of some strong anti-biotics and told me that if she got any worse or anything drastic changed to come back before 3pm. Since I live so far out and it was the girls nap time I went to my Mom's house (she was home) to lay them down, ate, and just keep an eye on H2. Her temperature was still high when I laid them down in the cribs at my Mom's house.

When I went to go get them up I picked H2 up and she was drenched in sweat. I took her temperature again and she was about 104.5! She started getting the chills really, really bad. To the point where she looked like she was about to have a seizure. I stripped her down and put her into a cool bath to try and get her cooled off. It didn't really work. She stopped shivering but her was still very hot. I left H1 with my Mom and ran H2 back up to the doctors office. The doctor was pretty worried about her not eating still and said that she really wanted to get her put into the hospital to get some fluids in her. She called across the street and let them know we were coming. We got into the car, parked in the parking garage, went down one set of elevators, across the hospital, up another elevator, through some big metal doors and walked into the pediatric unit.

When we got there they took us straight to a room, got her banded and brought me some formula, Pedialyte, drinks for me, diapers and wipes. The nurse did everything she could to make sure both H2 and I had everything we needed as soon as we got there. The tech, who's name slips my mind at the moment...I will call her S) came in to take her temperature, weight, length, blood oxygen and blood pressure. She was amazingly nice and was a huge help to me during the entire stay. I sat with her in the rocking chair in the room for a bit to try and get her to relax. She finally relaxed long enough for me to lay her down in the crib-like contraption in the room. She slept for about 5 minutes before she woke up screaming again.

We waited for about 30 minutes before another came to get us and bring us to the procedure room to put her IV in. Let me tell you, sitting there having to help hold her down as they looked for a vein to put an IV into was just aweful. The first nurse couldn't get it in and had a rule that she only sticks twice before calling someone in to try. The second nurse did a good scan and was able to get the needle in on the first try.
After it was all over H2 was even more exhausted and so was I. We went back to our room for the night. R came with his parents after work to bring me some clothes and toiletries and to see H2. She didn't do a lot of sleeping that night either. R's parents went and picked up H1 from my Mom's since my Mom had to work the next day. His Mom took off work just to keep her since R's boss gave him a hard time about taking off.
We were in the hospital for two nights. They believe that she had a stomach virus. H2 slowly got better and started eating. It was a rough few days because since they didn't know if what she had was contagious we were quarantined to our room. I only left the room twice the entire time. Once to go to the car and another to take H1 to the doctor. Oh yeah, did I mention that H1 started running a fever while she was at their house? Nana came and watched H2 so I could take H1 to her appointment. They ran some tests and found out that she had the flu. So, not only were both girls sick at the same time but they were both sick with something different. When we got home I had to keep them both separated so that they didn't share anymore germs. They were not happy about that. After two days of being separated I had to keep them separated for another two days. Poor babies.
They are much better but I am sick now. On top of all of that the computer completely died so I have not been able to do anything. I was trying to apply for a job but because I had no access to anything I am way behind on getting all the paperwork to them. I hope I'm not too late.
Now if I can just get through the rest of this week on the rest of my fumes I think I can make it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...