Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cleaning Out and Giving Away

As the time we need to move in slowly creeps up on us I’ve been (very, very) slowly going through our things, cleaning out and giving away as much as I possibly can. I want to be able to move with the least amount of useless things as possible and have a type of “starting over” process.

With Christmas quickly approaching my first priority is to go through the massive amount of toys that the girls have accumulated over our past three and a half years of life and get rid of the items that they either no longer play with or that will just take up too much room in our eventual smaller space. We are extremely lucky at the moment to have a absolutely huge sunroom that is used as a toy/playroom but I know that we won’t have that much space so it’s time to pare down. We are also very lucky to have been blessed when it comes to Christmases and birthdays because the girls have always been given so many amazing toys but I have yet to get rid of a single toy! I still have infant toys in their playroom!!! I am going to wait until the girls go to their Dad’s house to clear out because I know that if they were here it would be a Greek tragedy. I also need to decide what I want to try and sell and what I want to donate and then decide where I want to donate them to.

Lately I have also been reading a lot of blogs of large(r) families and have been learning a lot from them when it comes to keeping things neat, organized and simple. We live in such a materialistic world it’s very hard sometimes to not just keep piling more and more things into our homes but in the end it isn’t worth the hassle and frustration. The hardest part of cleaning out for me is seeing something that I paid money for or was gifted that I know cost good money and feeling guilty for getting rid of it. In my materialistic brain it seems like a waste to get rid of something I paid for which is, of course, silly. If I never got rid of anything I or someone else paid for you would see our home on the next season of Hoarders. I hope that I can pass on to the girls the knowledge of Luke 12:34, “For where your treasure is, there will be your heart also.”

1 comment:

BritneyMarie said...

I just recently went through the girlies stuff as well. I always let Deidre and Danielle go through everything before I donate it. After they're done picking out what they want I let my Grandmother go through it for the nursery at her church. Finally, I donate it to the Goodwill. By that time, I'm pretty sure that most things will find a good home. I shop at the Goodwill all the time for crafty things so I know it'll all eventually find a good home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...